Friday, December 10, 2010

Show & Tell/ Sexy sexy vinyl

There's something about a vinyl record.  In addition to the smooth, organic sound that comes from the listening to a vinyl record, there's something incredibly sexy about the large format artwork, all the fun surprises that sometimes come with an album's packaging (think The Beatles White Album with the 4 portraits packaged inside), and the feel of pulling out that smooth disc and placing it on a turntable.  Don't even get me started on how incredibly relaxing it is to look through stacks and stacks of old records on a Sunday afternoon looking for the perfect find.  I love it all...

This past Sunday after my brunch shift at One World, I decided to take a trip to Normal's Books and Records to search for some used vinyl as it had been months since my last purchase.  Within a minute I had found two incredible records.  Pizzicato Five's Happy End of You (a remix album of their Happy End of the World) album from 1996:





Even if I wasn't a already a Pizzicato Five fan, who could deny such yummy cover art??

I also found a classic album and perhaps one of the most sexy records in my collection, Kraftwerk's Autobahn:



Not only does it feature my "color of the moment" cyan as the background, the design is just so clean and simple and yet so modern for it's time (Autobahn was originally released in 1974).  Upon coming home and pulling out the inside sleeve I had a whole new discovery on my hands:


It's like two album covers for the price of one! It really doesn't get better than this...bright colors, German cars, the Autobahn, Kraftwerk...

Here are some more Kraftwerk albums covers that I find particularly visually (and audibly) inspiring:



And here's another Pizzicato Five album, just for good measure:

1 comment: