Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book Covers/The Beat Generation and The Angry Young Men

Our latest (and last--end of semester, woo!!!) typography assignment is to design a series of book covers for three books of an author of our choosing.  In looking for inspiration for this project I began thinking of my favorite book covers and for some reason this one stuck out in my mind-the cover of a book my mother passed down to me entitled "The Beat Generation and The Angry Young Men":

I don't know if it's because this book has been prominent in my mind as I'm researching the Beatles history (this book was referenced as the epitome of how the American beat culture paralleled the British angry young men culture and how both influenced The Beatles in their early teenage years) or if it's just one of those visuals that sticks with you over the years, but I love it.  The vintage hap-hazardness of the layout,  the typeface, the colors, everything.  The fact that there's so much information with such clear hierarchy is something that stands out to me as well.  Both visually charged and emotionally charged as a relic from my mother's (and now my) teenage years, this book cover takes the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment