Wednesday, October 13, 2010

the truth/social cause campaign

6 months and 26 days ago, I was a cigarette smoker--not a social-smoker or an "only when I drink" smoker, I was full on 1/2 pack to full pack a day smoker for a grand total of 11 nicotine-loving years.  However, today I am happy to say that I am not. 

When I was a smoker, one of my biggest pet peeves was people trying to enforce their personal opinions of smoking on me-usually while I was smoking: "You know you're going to die!" "Those things cause lung cancer, you know?" were the annoying catch phrases non-smokers employ to make themselves seem better than smokers.  My favorite comeback was always the self-righteous "Oh yeah??! Do you eat Big Macs? You know those will kill you just as easily as these will!"

Tonight I was lounging around thinking of ideas for my campaign against fast food when these fond memories blasted their way back into my brain.  What if I approached my anti-fast food campaign like the American Cancer Society approaches their anti-smoking campaigns?  Then I thought to myself: when I was a smoker what campaigns bothered me the most? The truth.com.

A website I never dared look at.  A strong message with effective and ingenious design to back it up.  Tonight I ventured into the unknown.  I found treasure.  What I found was an effective social cause campaign.  Behold:

 The truth's "Shards 'O Glass" campaign

Here, the truth shows a fictitious popsicle company that realizes they are killing their costumers with their product.  This company does the right thing, tells the costumers not to eat the popsicles and recalls the product. The truth is asking the tobacco companies why they can't do that with their product.  

Now if only I can be as clever as these truth people about the dangers of fast food products...

3 comments:

  1. I saw that ad on tv the other night and thought the same thing! Its a great campaign. Glad you aren't a smoker anymore... I quite about five years ago and Im working on getting my husband to quit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 5 years! It's always good to hear ex-smoker's success stories, I'm so scared that I'm going to slip back into again with all the stress from school. Quitting was so hard though that I never really want to go through that again. Good luck on getting your husband to quit, I'm sure he will when he's ready but it's good that he has your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on quitting! I also used to be a heavy smoker and always DESPISED peoples' comments to me. Though the worst comment made to me in public wasn't about smoking. Someone once walked by me and said, "Smiling doesn't hurt you know!" Yeah, thanks.

    ReplyDelete