Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Interpol Album Cover

One thing I've noticed about this particular class is that there is a lot of homework.  This afternoon, I thought to myself "I have a few hours of free time, I should do some homework!".  Having oodles of things to do--reading, blogging, designing, writing, scouring for the perfect show and tell example-I decided to do nothing as the classic procrastinator that I am.  Deciding that this was a bad idea, I left the confines of my apartment to go to my local coffee shop thinking that the motivation would come along with the change in environment.  I was wrong...  Why is it that I don't have the energy to do homework today?

For those of you who don't know me very well, when I'm not in class, doing homework, or at my job, I like to write album reviews for the online publication Verbicide Magazine.  This morning, struggling to make a deadline of noon today, I wrote up a review to Interpol's newest self-titled release (very brief synopsis: If you like Interpol, you'll really like this album.  If you don't like Interpol, you still won't like them. If you've never really listened to them, there's probably a reason for that and you probably won't like this album).  One thing I did not mention in the review was my thoughts on their cover art:




It's generally viewed as kind of odd when a band releases a self-titled album as late into their career as this one comes (Interpol is Interpol's fourth studio release since 2000).  The reason that the band decided to go self-titled this time around was that this was their most ambitious album to date, and they just could not come up with a title that embraced the feeling of all of the songs.  A cop out? Maybe.  But who's to judge? Everyone seems to conveniently forget that the Beatles' White Album is self titled, and that came out pretty late in their career. 

Anyway, I thought that this album cover was interesting as it shows the band's name/album title in a deconstructed fashion.  The dark, metallic colors that are used are indicative of the dark and futuristic tone of the music presented throughout the album.  Maybe the name being blasted to bits is indicative of how the bands' sound is changing on this album.  Preconceived notions of what this album might sound like may be blasted into equal bits upon hearing it for the first time.  Who knows? I like it and think its' interesting.  While critics of the band love to hate everything about them (see here), I for one don't think this cover art is total rubbish.  I like it and think it's interesting. There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment