Thursday, February 2, 2012

We've come so far...

Last Thursday marked the first day of my last semester in the UB Pub. Design program.  In a way, I felt like it was the first day of the rest of my life as I'm about to receive an important degree, and make a lot of important and life-changing decisions in the coming months.  Anyone who knows me well knows that I get incredibly excited about states of transition so of course, I couldn't be happier right now! We'll see what happens. 

As for right now, I just started working on assembling my final portfolio to be presented at the end of the semester.  The way the process works is you weed out all the work that you've done that can't be used in a professional portfolio (i.e. obvious student work such as typographic exercises, design boards, stuff that's just bad etc.), take what is now your best work or not-so-great work, and re-do/refine it as necessary.  Basically for most assignments, you take away all the qualifications of the assignment and make it look as professional and "good" as possible. 


In a nutshell: you all are going to get to see a lot of before and afters! Starting now!

This is a freelance project I worked on during my very first semester.  It was a brand identity for a local framing shop named "Mat About You Framing and Gallery".  This is the final version of what I came up with for the client:




With a little editing and finessing, this is what I came up with today for use in my portfolio (pending critique):



Personally, I think it's way more clean and concise and grabs attention better.  What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment