Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Magazine Covers

This semester I've been taking a pretty intense class in Magazine Design.  This specific class is what attracted me to the Pub. Design program in the first place--when I was looking at the course catalog a while back I saw this class and had the epiphany-"Yes! That's what I want to do! I want to design magazines!"  I have since learned that the correct term for this is "art direction" and needless to say, I have been super excited about taking this class...that is until it started.

If I've learned one thing this semester it is that art direction is hard. *Super* hard. It looks like it's easy because magazines have a tendency to look effortless--that's because they're designed really, really well.  At first I was really discouraged and this also ties into why I haven't been posting that much this semester.  However, I have recently had a change of heart and decided that instead of sulking about what a bad designer I am, I'm going to just go ahead and work really hard to become a good designer!

With that being sad, my biggest struggle within magazine design has been covers.  I've been having typography issues, photography issues, color issues, you name it--my covers have more issues than the Judds.  Today I finally completed one of the covers for my Bust magazine redesign--this so far has become the most effortless-looking covers I've done to date.  Tell me what you think!

Here's the original cover as well for a reference:


1 comment:

  1. I really like your redesign Beth! I have been wallowing this semester about being a bad designer and I'm kinda over it now, I can only get better. You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete